Even after being in Bangkok for three times now, the city never gets boring. As any big city, Bangkok is ever evolving and never the same. However, there are some things I always want to do when I am there. For anyone going to Bangkok, get your notebook out!
1. Go to a spa and get a manicure. Seriously, spa's are incredibly cheap in Asia and Bangkok is no exception. Go all out with an full-body massage, take a facial and you're good to go after the long flight. Oh and for the ladies, don't forget to get your nails done! Depending on your budget there are many quality places to go to. We went to Ten Ten Spa
2. Get a good view of the city in one of the many skybars. There is really no better way to enjoy a cocktail (or two!) on a rooftop bar, elevated above the bustling city. As mentioned, there are many options to go for, but our favorite was the infamous 'Sirocco Bar' and the Gramercy Park bar above Frasier Suites.
3. EAT! I can't stress this enough but the food here is just amazing. From curious looking streetfood, to mall foodcourts and backpacker snacks, the options are limitless. Oh, and of course don't forget to get a mango shake or one of those fresh young coconuts!
4. Buy your souvenirs at a market. There is no better way to emerge yourself in a city than to visit a market. Bangkok has many, and they all have their very special kind of charm. Whether it is food you're looking for (I am, always), or vintage clothing, or household supplies, the Chatuchak weekend market has it all. Another favorite is the Wang Lang market.
5. While you're shopping, don't forget to visit the many malls. Bangkok is a shopping heaven and really has a lot to offer. Our go to shopping malls are Platinum (wholesale prices), Siam Paragon, MBK (for the electronics) and Siam Center.
6. Visit Bangkok's notorious backpacker street Khao San Road. It might not be classy, or even cool to be there but no Bangkok experience is complete without a bucket and a mango sticky rice to go along with it. Here you can party it up backpacker-style without any fuss.
7. Spoil yourself. After living the backpack life, you should also experience the other side of life. Pamper yourself with a night at the surprisingly affordable W hotel, have brunch at Dean & Deluca or a high tea at the Mandarin Oriental, find a nice spa and just relax. That is what vacation is all about!
8. Soak up some culture. Thailand is known for it's many temple's and many are to be found in Bangkok. Therefore, a trip to this side of the world is not complete without a temple visit. My favorite is the Wat Pho temple with the reclining buddha, but actually Wat Arun and the Golden Mount are also worth a visit.
9. Take a trip to the The Bangkok Arts and Culture Center. Conveniently situated between many of the above mentioned malls, this place is the perfect spot for a shopping break. Get a coffee at one of the artsy cafes, get inspired by the free exhibitions and watch the art students as they go around. Must visit is the Icedea shop where they sell icecream as a steak with fries!
10. Don't miss out on Asian cosmetic brands. There are some great Asian (especially Korean and Japanese!) cosmetic brands that are really good and very hard to get your hands on in Europe. My advice? Go all out and try out some of those cool sheet masks, lip tinters, and fake lashes! Look for Etude House, SK-II and The Face Shop.